Chilepepper and spice

Hot food can be really cool.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Jalapeño harvest again


Some days ago we harvested our jalapeño. There are still some fruits left to harvest, but I guess this was the large autumn harvest from this plant. This comes from the plant we have had since last summer, which has survived lice and a long winter. It actually gave us fresh jalapeño all last winter. Now all this fruit is in the freezer and the question is if the plant will survive another winter. Just as last year the fruit is very late. Some plants haven't even made flowers yet. We can't keep them all over winter, so we'll see which ones we'll try to save. Some say that chile is an annual plant and that it only can give fruit one year. This is my proof of that being incorrect. But can it handle three years in a row? It's tempting to try. Jalapeño is so useful and nice to always have around.

4 Comments:

At 11:45 PM, November 02, 2005, Blogger Shelly said...

Wow, everytime I check out your blog it looks different....I should say it looks Fantastic! :)

Something else I have noticed is that on many of the European Blogs fresh cucumber is used on all sorts of things! ( Like your tacos ) I am going to have to try that. Seems the only time we eat them here is in a salad or on a tea sandwich.

 
At 10:42 AM, November 03, 2005, Blogger A said...

Well, thanks, and from now on I guess there will be just minor adjustments to this new look for the autumn!

 
At 8:59 PM, November 03, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, jalapenos are fantastic to have around! And so beautiful to look upon too. In fact, I have a big jar of pickled multi-colored chiles on my bedroom windowsill!
They were just too pretty to eat.
You understand,right?

 
At 1:44 AM, November 06, 2005, Blogger Lipant said...

I have known of folks who kept chile plants for years, one gal has the same one for over 5 years and it still produces. I think you have to expect dormant times and not fertilize for awhile, then allow them to sort of "come into summer" again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home