Chilepepper and spice

Hot food can be really cool.

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Could this be any good?

Today I found a strange can in my local suburbian grocery store. A can of sweet potato! In Sweden we don't eat sweet potato, but once we bought a fresh one and tried. I don't really remember with what we had it or if I even liked it, but this canned one looked American and interesting. So I bought it. Now what?

How should I use this? Of course I would like to serve it with something hot, but I don't know if that's the right way to eat it. Is it like a sideorder or should I have it instead of potato/rice/pasta? Tell me, tell me, tell me!

4 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, November 04, 2005, Blogger Alanna Kellogg said...

Eeew. Sorry, Nikka, the canned stuff especially in heavy syrup is pretty bad. But good for you for trying new stuff. I happen to have a recipe right here on the desk so here goes -- this is for 2 29-ounce cans vs the 9-ounce can you have so adjust from there. Combine potatoes w 1/3c butter, 2T sugar, 2T brown sugar, then add 2 beaten eggs, 1/2c milk, transfer to slow cooker. Top w 1/3c chopped pecans, 1/3c brown sugar, 2T flour, 2t melted butter. Cover, cook on high 3-4 hrs. And lots of American homes will then top/brown these w miniature marshmallows. Talk about SWEET!

 
At 1:40 AM, November 06, 2005, Blogger Lipant said...

I would use canned ones for soup. Not for eating as a vegetable. Sweet potatoe (or Yam) soup is great, if you want I can find you a recipes. And FRESH baked sweet potatoes are awesome, but not canned!

Linda
Lipant@sympatico.ca

 
At 10:13 PM, November 14, 2005, Blogger s'kat said...

Canned sweet potatoes are perfect for making sweet potato bread! It's a quick-bread for breakfast or snacking, not a yeasted bread.

 
At 10:18 PM, November 14, 2005, Blogger s'kat said...

Oops! I just noticed that your can is packed in heavy syrup. I'm not sure that would work out so well, but I could be wrong...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home