Chilepepper and spice

Hot food can be really cool.

Sunday, October 02, 2005

A little harvest

The lice had taken over the only chile plant, a small jalapeño plant, that I had put in the kitchen. It was either a lot of toxic or to let it go. I choose the latter not to risk any of my other non chile plants. But still, now I have to keep an eye on the orchids, my hoya and my minature orange tree. I dont want them to be infected.

Though I had to harvest (and kill the plant :-( ) earlier than I would have wanted I got a good harvest, but mostly green. Jalapeño is great green AND it's also great red! It's probably most common green I'd guess, since the only pickled ones you can buy at least in Sweden are green, but red has a nice and more mature taste. We still have our large plant in the livingroom/greenhouse, so if we don't get any lice invation there we could maybe harvest som red ones there later. Anyway, here is the kitchen harvest.

3 Comments:

At 8:40 AM, October 04, 2005, Blogger sateku said...

Hi Nikka. Just to let you know, there actually exists red pickled jalapeño in this boring country as well. Check this link: http://tinyurl.com/cl6cr (hope it works). They are much tastier than the standard pickled green ones.

 
At 9:14 AM, October 04, 2005, Blogger A said...

Oh, now I remember. Maybe we've had it one time. We don't buy pickled jalapeño very often. Almost just for tacos. In most other cases we use fresh or frozen from our own harvest! I wonder if our grocery store has the red ones...

 
At 3:27 PM, October 04, 2005, Blogger sateku said...

Yeah, the pickled ones are only good to eat with tacos and such. I do not care for using them in chilis or other cooked dishes, the vinegar never disappears no matter how much you rinse them and the taste is not at all like the fresh ones.

The picture of your kitchen jalapeño harvest really makes me hungry, by the way. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home