Chilepepper and spice

Hot food can be really cool.

Monday, August 22, 2005

Vindaloo Masala from Rafi's Spice Box

I rarely cook, I leave that to my fiancé who is a natural talent in the kitchen. That will probably stop me some from publishing recipes here in the blog. Due to copyright issues I can't just copy my favourites from our books or favourite websites, at least not more than occasionally, and I could never write down the stuff than my fiancé just makes up from his head. What I can do is to link to recipes we love and to great stuff to try out if you like hot and spicy food, and today I'll give you a really good piece of advice...

Rafi's Spice Box is a spice shop in York and Suffolk, UK. Never been to Suffolk, but in June we stayed a week in lovely York, and we totally fell in love... with the spice shop! The concept is great. You can not only buy the ordinary products and spices, but you can also buy curry packs ready to cook, just by adding 1 kilogram of ingredients of your choice. We bought four curry packs, Patia Masala, Vindaloo Masala, Phaal Masala and Malay Rendang. The nice young man who put the curry packs together without even looking at a recipe and as we could see from non labeled jars also gave us a sample of the Bombay Potato to take home with us.

We have now made all these curries except from the Phaal Masala (which is said to be the hottest). And they are all totally adorable. Each pack has given us three great dinners, and tonight we'll eat some Vindaloo Masala from the freezer with some fresh coriander on top.

Since we live in Sweden we can't go back to the spice shop, but you can order your curry packs on the Internet, even internationally! So now we are going to place an order soon for more curry packs. Even though it's not so hard to make great indian food from scratch it's nice to have these pre-made curries to cook.

3 Comments:

At 9:57 AM, August 23, 2005, Blogger Anne said...

Aaaah, welcome to the wonderful world of food blogging then! :) I look forward to reading lots of yummy spicy recipes here - and nice to hear about the spice packs. Maybe I should place an order, too. I like convenient packs like that, it's not every day that you feel like roasting fifteen different spices. (Indeed, is it ANY day?)

 
At 12:13 AM, September 18, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You had me at the word Vindaloo!
I look forward to seeing more of what you come up with.

Please stop by at my new 'Indian spice blog at naughtycurry.com

Maybe you (or your fiance) have something to contribute...

 
At 3:58 PM, April 19, 2006, Blogger BLINDS DIRECT ONLINE said...

We love spicy people! Give these Curry recipes a go - and let me know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home